quik boots only manually

quik will not autoboot on my PowerMac 4400, when left alone no timeout
will boot the machine automatically. I have to enter either a kernel
path or quik label name to start up. Just hitting enter I see this:

   Enter the kernel image name as [device:][partno]/path, where partno is a
   number from 0 to 16.  Instead of /path you can type [mm-nn] to specify a
   range of disk blocks (512B)
   boot:

After entering something reasonable quik loads the specified image
(specified either by label name or path) just fine.
Setup looks like this:

	init-message="Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (woody)"
	default=Linux
	timeout=100
	root=/dev/hda2
	partition=2
	image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-ben10
		label=Linux
		read-only
		append="console=ttyS0,38400"
	image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.20-pmac
		label=orig
		read-only
		append="console=ttyS0,38400"

Any ideas how to start this machine automatically?

tobias