Re: Mac 7200 (PPC) sees Promise controller.. BUT NO DRIVES

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 17:54, Jessica Blank wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 17:48, Jessica Blank wrote:
> >
> > > These messages weren't FROM the boot. I already tried compiling the
> > > ide-disk and ide-mod modules into the kernel... they did not work. So,
> > > getting sick and tired of rebooting the machine around 50 times, I decided
> > > to compile them as modules, so I could quickly work on them, insmod them
> > > and rmmod them.
> >
> > IDE as module is known brain dead. Compile them on in the kernel and
> > send me the whole dmesg output with the ide-disk compile in.
>
> Gyaah. Round and round and round we go... ^_^;;;
>
> Oh, another thing that pisses me off about 2.4.20.. WHERE THE HELL DID
> THEY PUT HFS SUPPORT!?!??! I cannot find the HFS option ANYWHERE under
> Filesystems. I CAN find it on 2.2.25... what's wrong with this picture!? I
> KNOW the driver is in there; I see hfs.c... but I don't see the config
> option.

Hrm... It seem to be here... You may need CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL

> Ben, hopefully your patch will fix this annoyance. I'm sure it will, no?
> :)

> > > 2.4.20 and... the dmesg is attached. Also, below (in case y'all wanna read
> > > it inline). NOTE: Again, I compiled ide-mod and ide-disk AS MODULES after
> > > getting SICK AND TIRED OF REBOOTING since compiling them into the kernel
> > > itself didn't work either... at the end of this log, you can see the
> > > output generated by me insmodding ide-mod and then ide-disk, twice. As you
> > > can see, ide-mod seems to see the controller (it's a Promise Ultra
> > > DMA/33) but no disks, and ide-disk doesn't seem to do anything useful at
> > > all...
> >
> > Can you try my patches ? (2.4.20-ben10 patch available on kernel.org)
> > and send me a log with those ?
> >

> Certainly! I'd love to. What directory izzit? Can you provide a full URL?

 pub/linux/kernel/people/benh, then get the -ben10 patch against 2.4.20

> I remember you; I used your kernel on my G4 Cube way back when. You rule.
> :)

Heh, well, I'm the maintainer for the PowerMac support, so there are
great chances my kernels work better than standard ones on those
machines ;) Though I'm trying to sync regulary with the official
tree.

Cheers,

Ben.