Re: comparing x86 and powerpc laptops

> I currently own an iBook2, and have often wondered if it would have been a
> better plan to go for a laptop with support for `multimedia' activities
> (e.g. Altivec in a G4), and also whether I would have a copy of gcc that
> would allow me to take advantage of such hardware.

Hi Ed,
I actually recompiled CPU intensive application on a powerbook G4 and I
found that gcc-3.2.1 have options for the altivec support. I recompiled
bochs using -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec -mabi=altivec and the new
bochs boot a complete Debian Woody system in 1'28" instead of more the
5'. I also found that -O3 generate slower executables then -O2
(strange?)

Bye,
Giuseppe