Re: comparing x86 and powerpc laptops

On Mit, 2003-04-09 at 10:55, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > that's their only "adventaje"
> >
> > And not even that is really true. I have recently counseled my niece on
> > the buying of a laptop, and she finally went for an ibook (the cheapest
> > version). This was just after Apple lowered their price last autumn.
>
> And BTW, there seem to be a speed bump on ibooks programmed soon, as can
> be seen here :
>
> http://www.thinksecret.com/news/aprilibooks.html
>
> There is nothing more frustrating to buy a notebook and to find the week
> thereafter that the models have been upgraded. And you may even find
> rebate on older models too.

i know how that is =)

another criteria for me is also: gotta work well with eclipse and other
java stuff. its possible to compile eclipse by hand to run on debian ppc.
but it works kinda buggy..

i know that you cant really measure the overall performance in mhz. but
after all i think its for sure that a 1ghz powerbook would not be as fast
as a 2ghz x86 laptop, or?

i know that the apple laptops are great design-wise (i used two powerbook
models for like 4 years, but mostly with mac os).. but what are other reasons
for it, when you only want to use debian on it?

(besides the battery lifetime. thats really great on the apple laptops,
but not some high priority criteria for me)

ciao!
florian