Re: comparing x86 and powerpc laptops

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 09:36:32PM +0200, florian wrote:

> besides the nice design of the hardware, are there any
> reasons? (i would only use debian on it, so things like
> mac os x dont really matter)

When I shopped for a laptop 1.5 years ago I found that if I wanted a
small laptop with a good screen and good battery life, the iBook was
the cheapest solution. Also is is very silent as a bonus and the sleep
function is very fast to wake up from. Another thing is durability --
the iBook feels very solid and I was told that I could just drop it
into my normal bag (that is what I do).

The problems with some of the apples are the resolution. I also think
some of the powerbooks are a little expensive. Also there is only one
memory slot in the iBook, and it maxes out at 640MB.

> to which x86 could you compare the speed/performance of
> the 1ghz powerbook?

Don't know but I can tell you that I lent my 2001 600MHz iBook out to
someone who ran some tests (lmbench and maybe some kernel compiles I
think). And I was told that it was about as fast as a PIII 900MHz
desktop machine for development under linux.

I can really recommend the iBook.

BTW.: OSX feels very slow on my iBook -- but who needs that :)

--
  Christian Boesgaard