Re: What can I get rid of?

Sven Luther wrote:
On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 12:57:31PM -0500, Eric C. Cooper wrote:

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 10:28:35AM -0500, Nathan S. wrote:

I'm running linux and Mac on a 4 GB harddrive. The linux partition is, regrettably, smaller than the Mac partition and is quickly running out of room (only 470 MB free!). I haven't been using linux long enough, so I don't know what I can delete to free up some space. Any suggestions as to where to start?

The deborphan package is useful for finding packages, especially
libraries, that can be removed because nothing depends on them.  I
usually use "deborphan --guess-all".  It's an iterative process:
after you remove some, run it again because there may be more that are
now no longer needed.

It will remove all your developpment libraries though, which you may
need if you are wanting to do developpment.

There is also a script or something to remove all the documentations, i
think, have seen it mentioned in one of the debian lists the last month
or so.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Unfortuantely, it seems that development libraries are what are taking up most of the space, and I'd like to keep those =). Also, I'm still quite new to Linux so I'd really hate to get rid of all the documentation. I used deborphan to find some libraries that I could get rid of but I'll be hanging on to those dev libraries.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great suggestions. Next time I install Debian I'll know better =)
-Nathan