Re: fbset on woody

On Don, 2003-04-03 at 11:28, Nicholas Helps wrote:

> Does fbset work properly with woody on a starmax 3000? I have just put debian onto this machine and after
> configuring the xserver during installation (800 x 600 with 16 bit colour) got horrible colours when the desktop
> environment started (it looked like it may 16 colours - ie not a bit depth of 16, but 16 actual colours). I then
> went back and used the dpkg reconfigure tool for xserver to change this to 8 bit colour (256 colours) and got
> something acceptable at 1024 x 768 res. However, I would like to be able to change these settings without having
> to go back and reconfigure every setting in the xserver (ie without using dpkg reconfigure xserver xfree86). I
> found a help page on a web site about debian (not THE debian www site) that referred to fbset for setting frame
> buffer variables. This seems to be the right tool to use.

No. X is configured in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, one way to do that is what
you'd like to avoid. You can also edit the file manually, but be sure to
read the comments debconf put in there.

> It was not installed as part of the standard install, but apt-get did find it on the distribution CD and managed to install it. I ran it and told it to set the x and y
> resolutions to "-yres 800 -xres 600" (a suggested resolution). The screen went blank and I had to do a restart. It
> does seem strange that it quotes yres as 800, since I always thought that screen res would be (eg) 640 x 480, 800
> x 600, etc with the larger figure being the xres. I also tried it that way round and the screen went blank again.

If you did that from within X, then I think the behaviour is basically
undefined. Otherwise, what framebuffer device are you using?
(check /proc/fb)