Re: Xfree86 and iMac G4 flat panel

X works almost perfectly! (I still get the red screen after the inactivity timeout but I can change to text mode).

I had to get patch the debian kernel 2.4.20 with the diff I found in this message [1]. The patch can be found here[2].

In the kernel I choose only rivafb, without open firmware fb and with a boot parameter rivafb:1024.768@60.

Xfree is 4.2.1-6 using frambuffer.

I think that patch should be included in the standard Debian kernel for new-pmac. Otherwise people with eMacs and iMacs would have to patch the official kernel or go get the YellowDog kernel that, I just learned, seems to work out of the box for this hardware (iMac G4, nVidia Geforce2-MX (NV10)). Maybe they include the same patch.

Thanks for all the help!

Eduardo.

[1] http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0212.2/1414.html
[2] http://rain.prohosting.com/scftpd/rivafb-richards2.diff.gz