Re: ibook 2.2 trouble w/ -ben9 kernel

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 02:44:19PM -0500, Johnathan Chapin wrote:
> Hi,
> I've lurked on this list since purchasing my iBook 2.2 (12.1"/800mhz),
> and thought I'd post my experiences with Ben's latest kernel (ben9).
>
> I'd been running ben2 for quite a while, then decided to try out ben9 a
> couple of days ago.  Everything was dandy until I put the 'book to
> sleep.  When I attempted to wake it up, the display was dark.  I
> rebooted it manually and it booted directly into Mac OS X, but with no
> display (I was able to SSH into the box).  So... I rebooted and zapped
> the PRAM and it booted fine into Linux (like normal).  About an hour later
> I noticed some severe corruption of my display, and the system froze
> completely.
>
> Thinking that it was just a kernel problem, I zapped the PRAM again.
> I reverted to my previous 2.4.20-ben2 kernel, hoping to cure the
> madness.  However, after a few minutes of use, I got the same display
> corruption and the system froze completely.
>
> Zapped the PRAM again and booted into Mac OS X - same situation.  After
> about 20 minutes of light use, the system froze and the display was
> corrupted.
>
> So, any ideas?

Not sure it applies to you, but I had similar symptoms on my ibook.
After a while I noticed that I could trigger the problems by giving the
ibook a light push, which (I think) rules out a software problem. The
technician at the store told me that the cables going to the screen of
some ibooks are not protected well enough to withstand opening and
closing the screen repeatedly, and that my ibook was the second one
brought in with the same problem that day...

Frank