Re: New Kernel on a RS6000 44p 170

Bürgin Daniel (KTSS 1) wrote:
I installed Debian Woody on my 44p Box with the How-to's
from Rolf Brudeseth mailto:rolfb@us.ibm.com
That works fine, but with a old Kernel 2.4.16 from Suse.

Now i would like to compile my own Kernel with some
differnt Network Settings.
I've tried the last stable Kernel from Bitkeeper 2.4.21-pre5
with Architecture set to "Power3". Compiling is ok, i used
the arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.chrp and zImage.chrp-rs6k,
but when i boot the
Kernel i get the following Output on Console:
.
Please wait, loading kernel...
   Elf32 kernel loaded...

That's it ! After that, the System hangs.

Can Anybody give me a hint witch Kernel Sources i should take
and witch config Settings i should use ?

I'm not sure how good the POWER3 support is in the 32-bit ppc
kernel, so...   However, the 64-bit ppc64 kernel runs just fine
on my 44p-170.  More info can be found at www.penguinppc64.org.
Short answer is that Marcelo's 2.4.21-pre6 code should work
straight out of the box.

Peter