Re: airport and wlan scan

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:37:01AM +0100, Mich Lanners wrote:
> Hmm, shouldn't be too hard... let's see....
>
> First, ifconfig up the interface (don't use ifup - you don't want all
> the fancy config...). Then, use iwlist, and get a list of available
> ESSID's to identify nearby networks. Based on some user-defined
> heuristics, chose one of the networks that matches a list of available
> and preconfigured WLAN configs (which then contains stuff like
> encryption keys...). Use that as the backend script to ifup's 'mapping'
> configuration (see man 5 interfaces).

Seems easy enough. I will try that.

> PS That sounds good... I can use something like this :-) I only need to
> find a way to ifup the non-auto eth0 interface when configuring WLAN
> (auto eth1) fails... any ideas?

What I have in mind is a daemon watching wlan and cable and using
whatever is available based on heuristics and user-defined priorities.
I have to look closer to ifplugd (and friends) that watch interfaces.

Ideally a nice applet (area-notification) could provide info to the user
and let him force the use of a given interface.

Christophe

Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you're
absolutely right. --Henry Ford