Re: boot-device variable for powerbook G3

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 06:48:07PM +0100, tarak wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I have found the mailing-list thread that you guys have been leading:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2002/debian-powerpc-200205/msg00144.html
>
> It reflects pretty much my problem. I already have posted something to
> the list:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200303/msg00621.html
>
> Both of you stopped your discussion after the success with the boot floppy.
>
> I would really like to know if you got along after that with booting
> from the harddisk
> someday. And also would like to request more information on how to patch the
> floppy to boot from /dev/hda2. My problem is that I do not run macos
> anymore.
> I must use hexedit that comes along with debian.

beav is a better binary editor, 'cuz I'm used to emacs. Actually,
you could probably get away using emacs. Or, there's

http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/powerpc-specials/miBoot/patch-floppy-image.pl

which might work now too.

But, hopefully with the patched g3 file, it will work for you from the
hard disk. Let the list know what you try and what errors you get. I
just put a new ide drive in my PowerMac 180, and set it up for quik. I
used a boot-device setting of

ata/ATA-Disk@0:6

(because my root is on partition 6) - and that works. Mind you, this is not a G3.

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org

Chris Tillman
- Linux Rox -