Re: booting debian on a powerbook g3 wallstreet after first installation

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 01:42:16PM +0100, tarak wrote:
> hello all,
>
>  maybe one of you knows what to do about the boot problem
> after the first installation of debian stable powerpc.
>
> i have a powerbook g3 wallstreet with 250 MHz CPU and 192 MB
> RAM. it's an oldworld system with an 2.0.1 firmware.
>
> installation works fine. i boot the boot-floppy-hfs.img
> which asks for the root-floppy. after having loaded this
> one dbootstrap starts and i can do everything as usual.
> set up the network and download packages. fdisk my harddrive.
> i have reinitialized my partition table and created one
> linux partition(3.75GB) and a swap partition(350MB) at the end
> of the disk. finally i make the system bootable, using quik to
> do this, and reboot.
>
> nothing happens... black screen.
>
> i have looked for a description of this problem in the net
> but only found somebody's answer to a mailing-list-post
> saying that the out- and input-devices would be set to the
> serial port. i checked that but found the settings correct
> i think. the were set to "screen" and "kbd".
>
> i think the problem is that the firmware doesn't know
> what to boot. i have resetted the firmware and after
> that the grey screen with a floppy and a blinking ?-sign
> appears. apple says that this meens that the system doesn't
> know what to boot, not finding the default macos.
>

> does anyone know what to do about this?
>
> i think there are two possibilities:
>
> - booting from a patched floppy. embarrasing...
>   i would also have to keep two copies of the
>   kernels i build afterwards, one on the floppy.

That's a possibility.

> - hacking the firmware settings for boot-device
>   and bootfile... tried this but was rather un-
>   successfull...

You may need to do more of this too.

You need to obtain the patched version of quik that runs on G3's,
there's a link and instructions in section 8.1 of the online
installation manual (www.debian.org/releases/stable/install).

BootX works reliably on G3s, but since you wiped out MacOS
you can't use it.

> would really apreciate your help....
> additional tips and suggestions would also be great.
> i searched the whole evening for howtos or articles
> on this subject but when you look for "debian install
> powerbook" at google you are flooded with all kinds
> of translations of debian's own install manual...

Actually many of these are quite useful, although you
should make sure they are talking about G3 powerbook,
not newer powerbooks or ibooks.

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org

Chris Tillman