Re: TrueType Fonts not working

On Sat, 2003-03-22 at 17:11, Martin Kuball wrote:
> I have a new iBook with Debian woody installed. The X server is from Michael
> Dänzer (
> Yesterday I tried to install some TrueType fonts. After adding the directory
> to the font path I started xfontsel. After that the X server died imediately
> with signal 11.

> (II) LoadModule: "freetype"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/fonts/libfreetype.a
> (II) Module freetype: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> 	compiled for, module version = 2.0.1
> 	Module class: XFree86 Font Renderer
> 	ABI class: XFree86 Font Renderer, version 0.3
> (II) Loading font FreeType

> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

It's been discussed here before that the freetype module tends to crash.
You could try the xtt module, using a font server or the 4.3.0 packages
from http://penguinppc.org/~daniels/README instead (it was determined
that the problems were caused by the freetype module's use of
setjmp/longjmp, and a fix was implemented shortly before the 4.3.0