Re: Debian installation from CDs in iMac

On 18/3/03 11:48 pm, "Jeffrey Matt" <jeffrey@lectern.ca> wrote:

> Depending on the model iMac:
>
> Tray Loading - there's a hole on the right hand side of the CD tray
> face.  Stick a paperclip in their and it'll pop open.
>
> Slot-Loading - Same trick, but stick the paperclip in on the far right
> hand side of the slot itself.  It's not far in. maybe a centimeter.  If
> goes in farther, you missed it.

Thanks for the advice.  Mine is slot-loading.  It took me a couple of days
to locate the hole (at first I was not even sure if I should straighten the
paperclip or insert it whole but then I vaguely remembered having read in
MacUser sometime ago that it should be straightened out) and another couple
of hours changing CDs to get the hang.

> With these tricks, you can load up all seven (!) CD's during
> installation.
>
> FYI - After many tries and retries, I ended up only installing using
> the first CD, wrestling my way online ...

Yes, I managed to scan all seven CD's (though apt config read files from
only 5 of them) - thanks again - but it was only after reading them all that
the installation was complete and the "eject" command started working as in
my old powermac clone so that I need no longer use a straightened paperclip
to change CDs!

On 19/3/03 1:57 am, "Chris Tillman" <tillman@voicetrak.com> wrote:

> That's good info, I didn't know that about the slot-loading Macs.
> And you're right, only CD1 is needed until you get rebooted. The
> lack of the eject command has already been addressed in the new
> (sarge) installer.
>
> I've just begun developing a help app targeted to complete linux
> newbies, but with a Debian slant. Would either of you like to try out
> the very preliminary version and give me some feedback? (If so,
> contact me off-list at tillman@voicetrak.com).

Thanks for the offer.  I was busy following Jeff's advice, but now that at
last I succeeded with the paperclip and got a modicum of (what looks like)
Debian in my iMac I'll certainly give it a try and let you know.

On 19/3/03 12:27 pm, "stamp" <stamp@gmx.ch> wrote:

>>     1. How do I change CDs in an iMac?
>
> is "eject" working at this point?
> then you could open a second console and type for example "eject
> /dev/hdb" or "eject /dev/cdrom"

No, the eject command did not work in the earlier stages of installation
until I completed apt configuration with 7 CDs armed with a straightened
paperclip (see above).  It is however working now.

On 19/3/03 9:14 pm, "Michael Shields" <shields@msrl.com> wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 20030318234815.GA5710@lectern>,
> Jeffrey Matt <jeffrey@lectern.ca> wrote:
>> Flat Panel - I can't remember, but I think I read about a similar hole
>> somewhere (presumably near the CD tray).
>
> No; the flat panel iMac is the first not to have a paper clip hole.
> --
> Shields.

I don't really understand Apple's motives.  They promote their machines as
friendlier than PCs!  One should have seen the concentration in my face when
I was struggling for the last two or three days with a paperclip to locate
the eject hole in the CD slot.

    Thanks to everyone for your kind help,
                                -- Ashesh