Debian on an iMac

On 2003.03.18 16:02 Ashesh Datta wrote:
I am rank beginner (albeit a 70 year old pensioner), ignorant of Unix, and my first brush with Linux - as well as Unix - has been to try to install
Debian in iMac from a set of 7 CDs

I'm in much the same boat, nominal linux experience, trying to install debian on an iMac (slot-loading). I've managed to get everything running from the CD's (with the exception of PPPoE, which I had to get the source for and compile myself), and most of the rest was upgraded using apt-get.

The only thing I haven't gotten running is Direct Rendering using the Rage 128 card.

Having said that, take everything I say with a grain of salt, I'm new at this too.

    1. How do I change CDs in an iMac?

Depending on the model iMac:

Tray Loading - there's a hole on the right hand side of the CD tray face. Stick a paperclip in their and it'll pop open.

Slot-Loading - Same trick, but stick the paperclip in on the far right hand side of the slot itself. It's not far in. maybe a centimeter. If goes in farther, you missed it.

Flat Panel - I can't remember, but I think I read about a similar hole somewhere (presumably near the CD tray). If you've got a flat-panel iMac, maybe someone else here who has one can help.

With these tricks, you can load up all seven (!) CD's during installation.

FYI - After many tries and retries, I ended up only installing using the first CD, wrestling my way online (you mentioned you have broadband, this wouldn't be advice for a dialup user), and apt-getting the rest. I've found that with Debian, (unlike YellowDog Linux, my last distro) it's better to install a stripped down system and add to it as you find software you'd like to try. I think it also might ease the pain of installing Gnome 2 (if that's to your liking) if you do so with a pretty basic system.

Sorry, I can't help you with questions two and three.

Jeff