Re: No X Windows on PowerBook G3 Help!

> > (II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "Generic Video Card".
> > (WW) ATI:  PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 0:17:0 could not be detected!
>
> This could mean that the XFree86 version is too old to recognize the
> chip, but...
>
> > (WW) ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION**** b: 0x82000000 e: 0x82ffffff correcting
>
> ... I rather suspect this is the problem. Try a 2.4 kernel, or if you
> use BootX, try using the startup extension instead of the app, or try a
> different bootloader if appropriate.

The Wallstreet can't use quik so you'll have to patch the PCI resource
allocation (broken by MockOS) on kernel startup. There's a patch against
vintage 2.2 and 2.4 kernels floating around (from early XFree 4 prerelease
days; the same happened initially on my Lombard) that adds code to atyfb
for this very purpose. BenH and Geert should have it in their archives,
and I can dig up a copy if needs be. (Hint: the IO and memory regions are
probably initialized to overlap by MacOS, and XFree deactivates the memory
aperture).

	Michael