Re: iBook at 640x480

--- Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sam, 2003-03-15 at 10:41, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > --- Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > It depends what kind of graphics chip you have.
> > >
> > > If it's a Radeon, with xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk, you should be
> > > able to simply use a line like
> > >
> > > 	Modes	"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> > >
> > > in the display subsection, then switch to the 640x480 mode, run
> > > fbset without arguments and feed the output to molvconfig
somehow.

> > It's a ATI Rage Mobility L (I think that's a mach64 chip).
>
> Ah, yet another story - I don't know if it's supposed to work with
> that.
> It would be a good idea to mention such information in your posts, as
> these days 'iBook' usually refers to one of the newer machines.

> > xdpyinfo  always shows it as 800x600.
>
> xdpyinfo shows the root window dimensions, which never change
> normally.
> xvidtune -show will show the current mode.

Ah, OK. That helped me to get the current video mode timing when I'm in
640x480 in X. However, when I convert that modeline to an fb mode with
modeline2fb, then feed it to molvconfig

> > And I don't have fbset installed. What package is it in?
>
> fbset :) Hint: apt-cache search fbset
>
> It won't help though as the atimisc X driver ignores the framebuffer
> device. You'd have to convert the xvidtune output to the fbset
> format.

So I was able to use modeline2fb to generate an fb mode, but it doesn't
work (the bottom of the screen has corruption).

On this Apple tech note
(http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G3/original_iBook/)
it mentions the scaling function that can be used to expand smaller
images to fill the screen. I wonder if this is what is preventing me
from displaying at 640x480?

Or do you have any other ideas? Or do you even know if this isn't
possible? It seems wierd that XF86 can do it but the framebuffer can't.
But I guess that's the way it works with proprietary video sometimes...

Thanks for your help.

Frank