Re: Installing on a beige G3

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 04:24:03PM -0800, Matthew Richardson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get Debian 3.0r1 running as the only OS on a beige G3.  So
> far, I've gotten through the install process and rebooted....and
> nothing.  On the first reboot, I get an Open Firmware-type screen with
> the message "Can't open device".  Subsequent reboots get the dread
> floppy-with-question-mark on the screen.  I'm pretty sure that it is a
> problem with Open Firmware and Quik, but not sure how to solve it.  I
> tried the OF patch in the System Disk download to no avail.  Also, I
> found the Quik patch quik-first.b-g3, but am not sure how to apply that
> patch.  If anyone can help a newbie, I'd appreciate it.

That isn't a patch, it's a substitute. After booting back into the
installer, copy that file to your /target/boot folder, and rename it
first.b to supercede the first.b that's there. Then, in console 2, run

chroot /target /bin/bash
mount -t proc proc /proc
quik -v
exit

and then reboot to see if you get better results. You might want
to run nvsetenv while you're in there to see what your nvram setup
looks like.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003