newbie questions from a wallstreet user

Hi there. I just got x and kde working by switching to the vmlinux2.4 kernel in the BootX control panel.now i've got a few questions.

1) There is a verticle line about an inch from the left side of the screen that looks kind of "glitchy". i'm not sure how else to describe it. does anyone know what i'm talking about and how i can fix that?

2) Is there any easy way to set my keybindings so that the usual mac os keycombos work? i.e. command-w to close a window, command-v for paste, etc...

3)anything else a mac os 9/X user would want to know about using kde desktop.

thanks,

-matt