Re: Pine for Debian

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 11:22:10PM -0500, Ian Pushee wrote:
> This isn't specificly a ppc-debian issue, but hopefuly someone will have
> some insite... I am trying to install the PINE mail/news reader on my
> new Dibian system. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a package for
> it (thought pine-docs is available). Is there some reason that this
> widely (at least to my eyes) used email client is left out of the
> distribution? What is the cleanest way for me to install it w/out a
> debian package available (convert an RPM maybe)?

Pine's licence forbid binary distribution. There is a source package
available in non-free which you can build for yourself, or you can just
use mutt, or another free alternative. I think mutt can be made to
behave like pine with regards to keybindings or something such, but when
i was personally faced with this problem, i just became used to mutt.

Friendly,

Sven Luther