Re: Flashing ? on boot.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:40:09PM +1300, Donald Gordon wrote:
> I have two PowerMac 7200/120, and a 1.2GB quantum fireball that I
> installed debian on.  It boots on the machine that I ran the debian
> install on; on the other one, all I get is an icon of a floppy disk with
> a flashing question mark when I turn it on.  If I put the disk back in
> the first machine, it boots; if I put it in the second, it doesn't. Both
> boot MacOS properly: what do I need to do to make the second machine
> boot Debian?

You need to update your Open Firmware variables on the second machine
to boot the linux bootloader.  You do that by booting into OF and
using the setenv command for the variables you need to change.

The relevant ones for quik, which I use, are something like this:
    boot-device     scsi/sd@0:0
    boot-file       /vmlinux

I don't know the right values for BootX.  But you can run "nvsetenv"
from linux (or "printenv" from OF) while the disk is in the first
machine, copy down the settings, then update the second machine.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u