Re: is gnome 2 closer to OS X than 1.4 ?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:54:29PM +0200, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 11:47, Jean-Christophe Michel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it's not a troll. I run successfully woody/benh on pwb Pismo (500 MHz)
> > for some months, using Gnome 1.4.
> > When I compare to mac OSX I'd like to have characters smoothing,
> > copy/paste working between apps (Mozilla/console/editors)
> > and I wonder if Gnome2 would have this features.
>
> Gnome 2 has text antialiasing using the Freetype library, so it is
> pretty high quality as well :-)
>
> There are some improvements with Cut and paste, like you can cut HTML
> from Mozilla and paste to Evolution mail composer, or you can cut a
> spreadsheet from Openoffice and paste it as a HTML table to your mail
> message.[*] O think those things are being improved continuously. Drag
> and drop for opening files works very well on Gnome2
>
> > Is it best to try to install Gnome 2 on woody or switch to testing ?
> > Does mol (mac os 9.2) work with testing ?
>
> Mol should just care about the kernel more or less, so that it finds
> your MOL kernelmodules. If it also finds a working framebuffer and a
> MacOS to boot from it should be happy.. I use MOL in testing and
> unstable and it seems to work fine. Thouhg I dont update every day so
> some breakeage might have slipped through unnoticed :-)

BTW, the real version of gnome you are wanting is 2.2, which is
available for unstable, but not yet for testing, because the new libc6
is not yet in testing. So you can either try to rebuild your packages
for woody, if it is not already done somewhere, wait a bit that gnome
2.2 finally enters testing or upgrade to unstable.

Friendly,

Sven Luther