Re: Trouble with Dual boot MacOSX/Woody - Yaboot on G4 Gigabit

Clive Menzies wrote:

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 04:19  am, Chris Tillman wrote:

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:25:08PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:

yaboot.conf:

boot=/dev/hda2 (where Apple_Bootstrap resides)
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
brokenosx (added as a suggested fix but makes no difference)
macosx=hd:10 (where MacOS9.2 and MacOSX reside)
delay=5
timeout=50
root=/dev/hda11
device=hd:
image=vmlinux

This is a typo, is it not? should be image=/vmlinux

Oops yes - a typo; it is correct in yaboot.conf

partition=11
label=Linux
read-only

So, with this .conf, you get a menu with options OSX
or linux, right? l for linux loads yaboot. Is this where
the 'second stage bootstrap' error occurs?

No. It didn't get to a menu. On boot, it would get to a grey screen with "Loading second stage bootstrap..." and hang there

It really seems like this could be a ybin issue; or possibly
a filesystem corruption on the bootstrap partition, since
that's where it would be loading yaboot from. It may work
manually from OF through a different code path than the CHRP
script activation.

Try, first: ybin -v to see if any errors are reported.

I ran "/usr/sbin/ybin -b /dev/hda2 -v" and was asked if I wanted to create an HFS partition. I first answered No and it aborted; so I ran it again answering Yes and everything seemed to work fine - no errors reported.

Then mkofboot -v so the bootstrap partition filesystem is
re-created.

I then ran "mkofboot -b /dev/hda2 -v" and that seemed to work fine.

I have progress of sorts in that it will now boot into OSX (without having to hold Option on start-up) but I still need OF (Cmd+Opt+O+F) to boot Linux. So I haven't, as yet, seen the yaboot menu in action ;-)

Thanks

Clive

Did you guys know that OSX has to reside within the first 8 Gb of the hard disk ?