Re: QUIK loader HELP!!!

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 08:13:33PM +0100, Pedro Alves wrote:
> Hello dear Friends
>
> I just installed the debian release 3.0 current in a Powerbook 3400c.
> I followed the instructions for harddisk installation, and installation
> went very well until I had to reboot the system. There a window
> appeared talking about QUIK, by mistake I press OK and the computer
> rebooted.
>
> The screen is black, and I can hardly see the following text:
>
> Second-stage QUIK loader
> Debian/Linux PowerPC (woody) boot:
> Enter the kernel image name as [device:][partno]/path, where partno is
> a number from 0 to 16 (...)
>
> What should I do now?
> The Macintosh operation system does not boot and the screen is black
> with the text above.
> I think something very critical is going on.
> I will very grateful for any information that can recover my powerbook
> from this stage.
>
> I use Xboot 1.22 to load debian

Oh, you mean BootX.

Apparently you installed quik, and it should have been installed
to boot the Debian installation you had just finished. It looks
like it succeeded, you could try typing Linux (the default image
name) to see if it boots your install.

If you'd rather get back to MacOS, you can use Cmd-Opt-P-R at
boot time, that will reset the PRAM to MacOS defaults and prevent
quik from loading. Then you can use BootX to start your new install
(you'll need to change the root device to /dev/hdx where x is the
partition number you installed on, instead of booting the ramdisk.

To reboot from the quik prompt, you can use Control-Cmd-PowerOn.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003