Re: bloat tolerance?

>> This is kind of a survey for PowerPC Linux users.
>> Is it OK to make 32-bit PowerPC apps bigger and
>> slower to allow for running them on IBM's 64-bit
>> hardware? This would hurt everyone running Linux
>> on a Mac.
>
> 32 bit PowerPC Linux is not exclusive to the Mac. It is run
> on PowerPC ATX boards too, which are nothing like a Mac.

Yeah, I know, but that isn't the popular choice.
I once had 32-bit PowerPC Linux running on the
Force PowerCore 6750 VME and an even more exotic
embedded supercomputer node. Never mind though...

The point is, normal 32-bit systems are getting hurt
because apps are being asked to support 64-bit kernels
with the same binary.

What do you think? Should the apps do this?
If yes, then what if the cost was 40% bloat?
What about 70% bloat? What if %CPU is 3x worse?
At what point do you draw the line?