airport on ibook2

Hi.. I'm trying to get airport to work on my ibook2.. I have the benh kernel and
have airport, orinoco and hermes modules which load fine.. however, after
booting up, if I try "iwconfig eth1", I see that the ESSID is empty and the
card hasn't picked up the wireless network yet.. airport module is set to load
on boot.. this is what my /etc/network/interfaces file looks like:

 auto lo eth0
 iface lo inet loopback
 iface eth0 inet dhcp

 auto eth1
     iface eth1 inet dhcp
         pre-up modprobe airport
         post-down rmmod airport
         post-down rmmod orinoco
         post-down rmmod hermes
         wireless_essid any
         wireless_mode Managed
         wireless_ap any
         wireless_nick DebianPC
         wireless_key off

I also tried setting the ESSID manually to the local network name but that
didn't work either.. I got wireless working on the OSX partition so I guess the
card does work..

Another qn - iwconfig seems to check for lo and eth0 by default.. so do I always
have to do iwconfig eth1? I do have an alias for eth1 set to airport in
/etc/modutils/aliases.

Thanks,
nirmal