video on a Power Mac 6500/250

Couple of questions:

I'm using Debian Woody on a PowerMac 6500.  Not using X (only 32 MB RAM)
just the console.  I notice that occasionally the characters get "speckled"
or distorted particularly when I'm editing text.  Refreshing (^L) restores
it.  Is this related to the video acceleration and if so can I stop it by
providing a video parameter to the kernel?  Can I still keep my 128x48
screen in that case?

Also I've had the machine lock up once or twice usually when I was editing
text (not just the console -- could not ssh into it either).  Could this be
related to the video problem?

Allan