Re: Kernel2.4.20 & PowerbookG3-Lombard awakening hiccup

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, vinai wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> > Oh, I don't have the 512MB RAM anymore.  Based of the claims of the
> > technician that the lombard doesn't support more than 512MB and the
> > fact that there wasn't a firmware upgrade to be found I believed that
> > it's simply not possible - is this wrong? (Maybe I should get the
> > 512MB dimm again to check? It would probably cost me money though.)
>
> The memory controller for the Lombard is the MPC106 (a.k.a. "Grackle")
> and according to the specs from Motorola (if I read them correctly),
> should be able to address up to 1 GB of RAM.  According to this link at
> Apple:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G3/PowerBookG3Series_1999/101_.53.html#32529
>
> they "officially" support only 384 MB of RAM in this machine, but it
> sounded like that was only because it sounded like "low-profile" 256
> MB DIMMs were not available at that time ...  I've been using 512 on
> mine under Classic, Linux and OS X for the last 2 years or so, and it
> has never given me any trouble (knock on wood) ...

Which revision of the MPC106 do you have? Older versions don't support 4-bank
SDRAM, only 2-bank SDRAM. If you try 4-bank SDRAM in a system with a north
bridge that doesn't support it (e.g. the Golden Gate II in my LongTrail), it
either sees only half the amount of memory, or just doesn't work. Cfr. my
experiences at http://home.tvd.be/cr26864/Linux/PPC/Motherboard.html

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds