Re: Trouble getting Quik working...

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 11:31 AM, Michel Lanners wrote:

On  21 Jan, this message from Chris Tillman echoed through cyberspace:

That should solve your problem.

Well, that fixed the DEFAULT CATCH! error, but I'm now getting CLAIM
failed. :\

CLAIM FAILED means it couldn't allocate memory. It may help
to just turn the machine completely off so it gets a new slate.

First I get the "bad partition number" error, then I get this, even after shutting down and booting up the computer.

Or try plaing with load-base, but be warned that some people have
rendered their machine unbootable with it.

	What exactly is the load-base, and what values should I try?

Wow, Michel, I wonder if that's the same problem so many people
have getting the beige G3's to use quik?

Most probably yes. The conclusion the original submitter of the bug and
I came to was that the buggy quik was plain simple _unable_ to boot any
G3 processor.

Blame me for not clearing the issue earlier; I originally fixed quik for
my old LinuxPPC installation, but didn't reinstall quik when moving to
woody. On the beige G3 at work I had the problem and used my old first.b from the 7600... without really investigating what the root problem was.

Any way you could email me your first.b that works, or put it up somewhere to download?

Dylan Barrie
Postpose