Re: kernel compilation

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:38:51 +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven composed:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 simon@nuit.ca wrote:
> > just wondering, how long *does* it take to build a kernel on say,
> > voltaire or the x86 (C3 was it?), cuz here a kernel build is about 2
> > hours - 604e/185 MHz, 84 MB RAM.
> >
> > is there a way to speed this up to say 1 hour, or 1 hour 1/2 without
> > upgrading the CPU? more RAM maybe? i don't have 200-300$ to spend on a
> > cpu upgrade.
>
> Ugh, I have a 200 MHz 604e and 128 MB RAM, but it takes much less time (between
> 30 and 45 minutes, IIRC) on my machine. I guess a 66 MHz memory bus (perhaps
> you have 40?) and a fast disk (I have UW-SCSI) do matter.

well, fast SCSI bus (10 MB/s; the int. bus on a 7500, with a kernel-config
time option of 10 MB/s set for the int. SCSI bus), 7200 rpm drive (slowed
down by the bus, unfortch), and the bus is 50 MHz (i think, it's a 7500).
the CPU daughtercard came out of a umax, and there are jumpers set on it;
i may be able to tweak the speed possibly ;). on the card there is "MO/0-180",
"NT/604", and "UMAX" on it. there's also some little box that says 51,2
MHz - i assume that's the card's bus speed or something. on the CPU chip
itself it says 75G64W QDHZD (serial 'number'?) and XPC604ERX180PD, which
is the 'model' of the chip i guess.

the fs (as mentioned in a previous email) is XFS, that does help things.

i.e., things like you have above do matter, heh.

there i go again, running at the mouth (or keyboard).

simon