Re: TerraSoft PPC Motherboard.

On  21 Jan, this message from Geert Uytterhoeven echoed through cyberspace:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 simon@nuit.ca wrote:
>> just wondering, how long *does* it take to build a kernel on say,
>> voltaire or the x86 (C3 was it?), cuz here a kernel build is about 2
>> hours - 604e/185 MHz, 84 MB RAM.
>>
>> is there a way to speed this up to say 1 hour, or 1 hour 1/2 without
>> upgrading the CPU? more RAM maybe? i don't have 200-300$ to spend on a
>> cpu upgrade.
>
> Ugh, I have a 200 MHz 604e and 128 MB RAM, but it takes much less time (between
> 30 and 45 minutes, IIRC) on my machine. I guess a 66 MHz memory bus (perhaps
> you have 40?) and a fast disk (I have UW-SCSI) do matter.

Yeah, two hours is horrible.... a few random ideas:

- kernel config: don't build stuff you don't need.
- check your hard disk speed: hdparm -tT /dev/<disk with kernel source>
  (is non-destructive; post the result to compare)
- more memory will help; but 84 MB is not _that_ bad, unless you have
  plenty of other things going on.
- faster processor: it looks like you have some 7600/8600 machine; you
  may want to consider a G3 CPU upgrade. 300-400 MHz cards should be
  cheap by now...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |