Re: Can't boot after quik misconfiguration

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:03:39AM +0000, simon@nuit.ca wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 20:28:29 -0800, Brent Miller composed:
> > A friend of mine just gave me an old Power Computing PowerWave 604|120
> > that he had lying around, and not being much of a mac person, I decided
> > to throw debian on there as I haven't yet played with linux on a mac
> > before. The installation went smoothly and was able to get it up no
> > problem, upgraded the kernel to 2.4.18 and that went smooth as well, but
> > I tried passing a boot parameter to the kernel by changing quik.conf
> > around and now the thing won't boot.
> >
> > When I turn the machine on now I get the mac "Daaaa" but nothing after
> > that. No sad mac, no floppy icon with a question mark, no error messages
> > from quik or the kernel, nothing. The monitor doesn't even come out of
> > standby mode. I was hoping that I would just be able to boot from the
> > debian installation floppies and change quik.conf back to normal, but
> > the computer dosen't even seem to check the floppy dive for a bootable
> > disk at startup. It won't even let me boot from the original mac os
> > cdrom when pressing the "c" key at startup.
> >
> > Is there a way to make the system bootable again? As it may be obvious
> > by now, my experience with macs is pretty limited so I'm sorry if
> > there's just a common key sequence that just needs to be pressed at
> > startup or something like that. (I did search this list's archive and
> > google but I didn't come up with anything useful.)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brent
> >
> try option-command-p-r, resets the parameter ram. do that right before
> the bong starts, and wait til it bongs 3 times, and have the hfs boot
> floppy ready to insert.
>
> go to vt2 in the installer, and edit quik.conf appropriately. double-check it.
> run "make system bootable" from installer. you may need to change
> quik.conf again later, and re-run quik, but the important thing is to get
> you booting. and don't insert whatever made it screw up again, hehe.
> read man quik and related docs.

quik is somewhat finicky about boot arguments in the boot-command. Did
you use "append="? If not, that may work better. I just use boot for
the boot command, and Linux (or other image name) for the boot-file,
that way the quik.conf controls everything.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003