Re: Can't boot after quik misconfiguration

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 20:28:29 -0800, Brent Miller composed:
> A friend of mine just gave me an old Power Computing PowerWave 604|120
> that he had lying around, and not being much of a mac person, I decided
> to throw debian on there as I haven't yet played with linux on a mac
> before. The installation went smoothly and was able to get it up no
> problem, upgraded the kernel to 2.4.18 and that went smooth as well, but
> I tried passing a boot parameter to the kernel by changing quik.conf
> around and now the thing won't boot.
>
> When I turn the machine on now I get the mac "Daaaa" but nothing after
> that. No sad mac, no floppy icon with a question mark, no error messages
> from quik or the kernel, nothing. The monitor doesn't even come out of
> standby mode. I was hoping that I would just be able to boot from the
> debian installation floppies and change quik.conf back to normal, but
> the computer dosen't even seem to check the floppy dive for a bootable
> disk at startup. It won't even let me boot from the original mac os
> cdrom when pressing the "c" key at startup.
>
> Is there a way to make the system bootable again? As it may be obvious
> by now, my experience with macs is pretty limited so I'm sorry if
> there's just a common key sequence that just needs to be pressed at
> startup or something like that. (I did search this list's archive and
> google but I didn't come up with anything useful.)
>
> Thanks,
> Brent

try option-command-p-r, resets the parameter ram. do that right before
the bong starts, and wait til it bongs 3 times, and have the hfs boot
floppy ready to insert.

go to vt2 in the installer, and edit quik.conf appropriately. double-check it.
run "make system bootable" from installer. you may need to change
quik.conf again later, and re-run quik, but the important thing is to get
you booting. and don't insert whatever made it screw up again, hehe.
read man quik and related docs.

in a nutshell (pardon pun).

simon