Re: PowerMac 7500 with MAXpowrMP booting 2.4.20 in MP mode - some trouble

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 21:51:08 -0500, Derrik Pates composed:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:32:33PM -0500, simonraven@istop.com wrote:
> > yeh, booting natively in linux is really cool. the 7500 is one of those
> > that can. for some reason a lot pf ppl have problems with the beige G3s
> > - they need quik too, but have obscure settings they need to boot from
> > quik.
>
> So I noticed. I've got quik mostly working now, but not for automatic
> booting. I have to tell it manually where to look for the kernel.
> (quik.conf doesn't seem to do anything at all - why is this?)

that's weird if u have to tell it where, if you have boot-device
configured correctly, it should see it (the boot file, i.e. first.b,
second.b, then vmlinux)

> You mean Cmd-Opt-P-R to zap the PRAM?

yeh sorry :).

> Are you sure that Cmd-Ctrl-Power
> enough times will get me an OF console?

no, not so much how many times, but the holding down of the those keys
seems to be the well, key, to getting the monitor to sync. u may have to
do it a couple of times, but make sure u hold those down for 2-3
seconds.

i dont bother with that unless i've managed to zap the nvram settings
(boot into macos - rare, or PRAM reset, even more rare). mostly what i
do is i have a system disk application patched with a (non-free as of
yet :( ) patch of Forth code that the video syncing, sets up the
networking, and other stuff (see below for that patch).

> I have a small (<100 MB) OS 8.6
> install that I was using to load Linux via BootX previously, but I'd
> rather not mess with that if I don't have to.

totally understandable. if i want to use macos for some strange reason,
i use MOL, heh.

> --
> Derrik Pates
> dpates@dsdk12.net
> dpates@voxel.net

############ Start of OF FCode (modified Forth) #########

hex
: $C $call-method ;
: $D find-device ;
: $E device-end ;
: $x execute ;
: $F $D " open" $find drop ;
: $p 0 to my-self property ;
: $a " /chosen" $D $p $E ;
: R BRpatch ; : L BLpatch ;
: q over + ;
: g code! ;
: & get-token drop ;
6ED & $x
0 value mi
: mmr " map-range" mi if my-self $C else $call-parent then ;
89B & ' mmr R
: mcm -1 to mi $C 0 to mi ;
8CB & 1E na+ ' mcm L
: maa -1 to mi 1D swap ;
8C9 & 5 na+ ' maa L
8C9 & 134 + ' 1 L
8CD & 184 + 14 q dup @ 6 << 6 >>a -4 and + R
8C6 & 7C + ' u< L
0 value yn
: y yn 0= if dup @ to yn then ;
8CB & ' y R
' y 28 + 8CB & 8 + R
: z yn ?dup if over ! 0 to yn then ;
8CC & ' z R
' z 2C + 8CC & 8 + R
@startvec BC + @ 40820014 over 88 + g 41820010 swap E0 + g
0 @startvec 5C + @ 1D8 + g
dev /packages/mac-parts
400000 ' load 14 + g
: m1 400000 do-unmap ;
' load 8 + ' m1 L
' load 160 + ' 0 L
: &r1 4+ dup 8000 alloc-mem 7F00 + swap ! 4+ F8 ;
' load 2AC - ' &r1 L
$E
4180FFF0 ' msr! 44 + g
dev /packages/xcoff-loader
: p&+ ['] open 600 - + ;
: p1 { _a _s } _a -1000 and _a _s + over - FFF ;
60000000 dup 8 p&+ g C p&+ g
18 p&+ ' p1 L
$E
" enet" $F dup
1D8 - 24 q ['] or L $x
248 - @ 6 encode-bytes 2dup
" local-mac-address" $p
$E
" mac-address" $a
10 buffer: km
dev kbd
get-key-map km swap move
$E
: ck 0 do swap dup 3 >> km + c@ 1 rot 7 and << and or loop ;
: bootr 0d word count encode-string " machargs" $a
0 0 1 ck if 0 and else f 3d 0 2 ck if 40 or then then
if bye else 1e 0 do ['] boot catch drop 1f4 ms loop then bye ;
: &SI
" scsi-int" open-dev
" open" 2 pick 4+ @ find-method drop
2c q ['] 2 L 848 -