Re: PowerMac 7500 with MAXpowrMP booting 2.4.20 in MP mode - some trouble

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:51:08PM -0500, Derrik Pates wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:32:33PM -0500, simonraven@istop.com wrote:
> > need for a serial cable). what u could do if u really want to have that
> > boot-file arg. is zap OF (cmd-opt-O-F), but the video sync is going to
> > be annoying - u have to hit and hold down cmd-ctrl-power a couple
> > of times to get the OF console to show up properly.
>
> You mean Cmd-Opt-P-R to zap the PRAM? Are you sure that Cmd-Ctrl-Power
> enough times will get me an OF console? I have a small (<100 MB) OS 8.6
> install that I was using to load Linux via BootX previously, but I'd
> rather not mess with that if I don't have to.

I suspect what this refers to is the bug in the video driver for
the onboard video. If you don't have the patch to fix it, the
video won't actually work every time, and you'll usually have to
reboot the machine several times using cmd-ctrl-power until you
get lucky and the video driver works properly. Obviously, you
also have to either hold down cmd-opt-O-F each time, or change
the settings so it drops into OF by default. I'm not sure if that
bug would affect displaying to a PCI card.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com