Re: smb kernel support

The way I've done this in the past is by editing my fstab file to read as follows:

//server/public /home/curtis/Public smb username=curtis,password=xxxxxx,uid=curtis,gid=curtis

If I indicate, as you say, smbfs, then I get the following error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //server/public or too many mounted file systems.

Curtis

Matthew Yee-King wrote:
are you talking about windows partitions or windows network shares?

sounds like you mean windows network shares (samba). if so, you need to specify the smbfs mount type, not smb, e.g.

mount -t smbfs -o username=foo //a_pc/a_share /localmountpoint

not /sure/ which packages you'll need.
apt-get install smbclient

should do the trick. if its a local windows hard drive partition,
mount -t vfat/fat/etc... /dev/partition_name /localmountpoint

cheers

matthew

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:53:26 -0800