Re: Palette problems with XFree 4

Hi,

Sven Luther wrote:
On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 03:59:07PM +1100, Ross Vumbaca wrote:

What version of pm2fb did you use ? Err, that is in what kernel where
you using it ?

2.4.19

Notice that the pm2fb driver is quite old and unmaintained, so it may
not really have caught up with the latest set of fbdev changes.

In particular, if you plan to do any work on it, you may better try to
do it for the new api in the 2.5.x set of kernels, which allow for much
simpler fbdev drivers.

I am personnally currently rewriting the pm3fb driver, as time permits,
and was planning to do a write_new_api_fbdev_driver howto or something
such.

Tell me if you plan to work on that, we can probably go at it together,
and maybe merge the pm2fb and the pm3fb drivers, like it is done in the
X driver.

I'm new to this area, but I'm willing to try and work on it :)

As for the X driver, normally the pm2 should be able to handle big
endian and/or little endian correctly, maybe you just need to write to a
register or something such, i don't remember exactly, but i suppose that
you should look at the docs of the pm2, if you have them, if not look
for them they are available. I have them, but since i am under NDA with
3Dlabs, altough not for the pm2 docs, i would prefer that you found them
from another source.

Anyway, if my memory serves me well, there must be just one register to
change, look at bit ordering in the cursor code or something such, mmm,
the cursor is loaded indirectly, thus would maybe not benefit from the
byteswap stuff, look at page 120 of the TI hardware reference manual,
and check the corresponding bit of the code, and look at
Permedia2LoadCursorImage in pm2_dac.c in the glint X driver.

Thanks for the tips, I've done a quick look for the manual and haven't found it yet, I asked on the 3DLabs forums (since other people there are asking about the pm3 manuals and are getting responses), but there has been no response yet :(

Regards,

Ross..