Re: Palette problems with XFree 4

Hi,

Michel Dänzer wrote:

I'm working on getting Debian Linux ported to a new PPC board called an "AmigaOne".

I've been trying to use XFree86 4.1 with a Permedia2 (glint) video card.

It all seems to work well, but the palette is somehow trashed in most modes.

In 8bpp modes, the palette is fine.

In 15, 16 or 24 bpp modes the palette is trashed. In 15 and 16 bpp modes it is like a rainbox, with all sorts of odd colours appearing on displayed images ("Debian" backdrop in WindowMaker).

Sounds like an endianness problem. It looks like the glint driver doesn't
address this indeed. Does pm2fb work? If so, does Option "UseFBDev" help?
Otherwise, you'll have to find out how to enable byte swapping for the
framebuffer, either by using a different aperture or by setting some bits
in some register.

Thanks for your reply. I tried to use the pm2fb driver, but this driver is locking up my kernel hard when it loads, so I can't test it until I try to fix that problem.

I switced over to a Radeon 7000, and I am getting similar results with paletter, plus screen corruption. One interesting thing is the mouse pointer is broken up, i.e, my mouse pointer is like the below right:

The Radeon FB Driver works for the console, for X the screen goes blank (and monitor goes into power saving mode), I can switch to the console (Alt-Ctrl-1), but going back to X on tty7, the monitor shuts down again. X is loaded, if I press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace on tty7, I am returned to the console.

Regards,

Ross..