Re: AmigaOne / Pegasos ?

On  14 Nov, this message from Sven Luther echoed through cyberspace:
>> > I mean, since we have an x86 emulator in the firmware you can
>> > use next to any known standard PC PCI/AGP graphics card
>> > with the vga console driver in Linux.
>>
>> x86 emulator?
>> How does it work and what benefit does it bring?

It probably emulates one of the 'simple' x86 CPU modes (the one the BIOS
runs in), and as such is very limited. If it is the same emulator that's
been discussed on linuxppc-dev a few times, then it's main (only?) use
is for booting x86 firmware on PCI/AGP boards, especially grafic boards.

>> Has the Pegasos such an emulator as well?
>
> I don't really know about this, but there is also the int10 module in
> the X server, which, if i am not wrong, also is an x86 emulator, which
> is used by X to initialize the firmware of x86 only graphic boards.

I'd be _really_ amazed if X had an x86 emulator. AFAIK, the int10 module
is used for access to BIOS code of the board. It uses the int10
mechanism (_very_ x86-platform-specific) to call BIOS functions.

Needless to say, this is of no use on platforms other than x86 (maybe
Alpha, but that's it then...).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |