Re: Where to put commands run at boot time

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 12:26:59 +0100, Sven Luther composed:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 10:18:47PM +1100, Tim Bateman wrote:
> > I need to run a command at boot time, I'm used to putting it in rc.local
> > in a RedHat system, and I haven't been able to find out where this exists
> > in Debian. I saw something that said make a bootmisc.sh script, but mine
> > isn't being run. Any  pointers on where to put user specific startup
> > commands ? (I actually only need to use hdparm to set DMA and 32 bit
> > access)
> >
> > Similarly, I'm running Debian on an iBook, which has no PCMCIA card, yet
> > the standard boot seqeunce still tries to load it anyway. I see there are
> > scripts called S20pcmcia and K20pcmcia located in rc[0-6].d, can I simply
> > delete these or should they be commented out somewhere ?
>
> Yes, you can, they are just symlinks to the real script in /etc/init.d.
>
> About custom bootup scripts, you may search more detailed info in the
> manuals or similar stuff, but you could simply write your own script in
> /etc/init.d, and symlink it from /etc/rc[x].d, with an appropriate
> priority.
>
> I think there are packages specially made to deal with things like that,
> i am not sure though, you would have to search a bit.

yes there are, and even one that removes the symlinks and replaces them
with a file. file-rc is the package.

write your script; chmod +x it, and all that; then use update-rc.d to
fix the links for it. do a update-rc.d --help to find out what the
commands are, also there's man update-rc.d. there is also the rcconf package,
which does this same process with update-rc.d (it's a script with update-rc.d
integrated as a main component).

have fun,
simon