Where to put commands run at boot time

I need to run a command at boot time, I'm used to putting it in rc.local
in a RedHat system, and I haven't been able to find out where this exists
in Debian. I saw something that said make a bootmisc.sh script, but mine
isn't being run. Any  pointers on where to put user specific startup
commands ? (I actually only need to use hdparm to set DMA and 32 bit
access)

Similarly, I'm running Debian on an iBook, which has no PCMCIA card, yet
the standard boot seqeunce still tries to load it anyway. I see there are
scripts called S20pcmcia and K20pcmcia located in rc[0-6].d, can I simply
delete these or should they be commented out somewhere ?

Thanks

Tim