Re: debian on 823e powerpc

In message <[🔎] 20020820183325.GA8159@lenin.net> you wrote:
> I'm new to this so please pardon my ignorance.
>
> OK so I am not trying to run debian on a Macintosh...  I am however,
> trying to get a cross-compiling tool chain together.  My host is a
> i386 running debian and my target is a "RPX Lite" from
> embeddedplanet.com with a Motorola 823e PowerPC.

You will need a full set of cross  development  and  native  tools  -
libraries, binaries, etc.

It is a non-trivial task t build thee correctly;  there  are  several
sets  of  instructions  floating  around, but you may notice problems
with most of them when you actually try it out.

You can also use existing tools, like our Embedded Linux  Development
Kit  - it's free for download, and you can also build everything from
scratch if you want; see http://www.denx.de/ELDK/

> I would like to run debian both on the my host workstation and the
> embedded system.
>
> Note that the 823e has no FPU.

This is just one of the problems with those embedded processors.

>  * does this mean I would need to rebuild the tool chain and packages?

Yes, or use existing (tested, working) tools.

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd@denx.de
Yes, it's a technical challenge, and  you  have  to  kind  of  admire
people  who go to the lengths of actually implementing it, but at the
same time you wonder about their IQ...
         --  Linus Torvalds in <5phda5$ml6$1@palladium.transmeta.com>