Re: dselect thinks it is not installed....

no, I've not been hacking.  I did upload sources for testing which
seemed to become mixed up with stable and testing sources showed
dselect as a separate package.  Here's how it looks on stable/woody:

linux:~# dpkg -S `whereis dselect`
dpkg: *dselect:* not found.
dpkg: /usr/bin/dselect
dpkg: /usr/share/man/man8/dselect.8.gz
linux:~#

linux:~# dpkg -l dselect

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                Version             Description
pn  dselect             <none>              (no description
available)
linux:~#