alsa

I spent last night trying to get alsa working on my iMac with a new
woody install.  Tried the 0.5 versions and also the 0.9 version
building my own drivers from the source package.  None of it worked.

Can anybody explain what needs to be done to get full working sound
up and running?  I can use the OOS drivers, listen to CDs, etc. but
artsd and esd don't seem to give me any system sounds with OSS and I
thought alsa might be better.  alsa was working well under SuSE so I
know it is possible.

Thanks very much

Joss