Re: KeyMappings in Windowmaker

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Shawn Dunn wrote:

> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:19:12 -0700
> From: Shawn Dunn <sfalken@dumpsterdivers.net>
> To: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: KeyMappings in Windowmaker
>
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:10:40 -0700
> Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com> wrote:
>
> > scripsit Shawn Dunn:
> <SNIP>
>  sooooo, what I want to do, is
> > > remap the meta-key for X to the command key on this keyboard (apple
> > > key, racetrack key, whatever), I haven't the foggiest notion how to
> > > accomplish this.   Anybody have any idea??????
> >
> > The easiest may be to do what I did for my iMac -- I mapped the
> > workspaces to OpenApple-# in WindowMaker.  (On my iMac keyboard, the
> > OpenApple key is where the Alt key is ``supposed'' to be, so the
> > remapping reduced my miskeyings.)
> >
> And exactly how did you go about remapping these keys?  (I've never
> remapped a key before in my life....

using xmodmap :) also, you can do some creative file copying in the
/etc/xkb directories, using the ca and ca_enhanced keymaps (? or are
those key symbols? whatever) and setting your X86Config(-4) to use
macintosh, then ca, then re-map any others with xmodmap if need be. as a
base i used the PC-105 kbd map, then edited some of the keys for my
ca_CSA ADB keyboard layout.

oh btw, the "racetrack" key is called either apple key or command key.

eric