Re: Woody on IBM RS/6000 7025 F50

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Tom Gall wrote:

> George Karaolides wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to install Debian woody on an IBM RS/6000 7025 F50 using the
> > latest floppies.
> >
> > I'm having very little success so far.  The best I've managed is to get a
> > "Booting:" message from OpenFirmware using the chrc rescue floppy and the
> > OpenFirmware command
> >
> > 0> boot floppy:.\linux.bin root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
> >
> > However, the booting procedure stops after the disk is read, nothing
> > appears on the screen and the only way to get control of the machine back
> > is to power it down.
>
>   None too surprising. You want a kernel compiled as CHRP. Tho one question, is
> your box an SMP box? If so, make sure SMP is turned on. Otherwise the standard
> CHRP config in arch/ppc/configs should work just fine.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I would have expected the kernel that comes with the woody chrp install
floppies to have been compiled for chrp.  Is it not?  If so, I need to
find other installation disks, or cross-compile my own kernel.

I only have Intel machines running Debian on which to compile a kernel,
and I've never cross-compiled before.  An initial attempt failed with
an error message about the file ppc--gcc not existing.

So:

- Is the kernel on the Debian woody chrp install diskettes really not
suitable for my chrp machine?

- Any suggestions on where I might locate a suitable kernel or set of
install disks?

- Failing that, any pointers on how to cross-compile a suitable kernel on
Intel x86?

Best regards,

|   George Karaolides                      Planitis Communications Ltd.,  |
|   tel:   +357 22 45 65 00              Office 102, 11 Florinis Street,  |
|   web:   www.planitis.net                             Nicosia CY 1065,  |
|   email: george.karaolides@planitis.net           Republic  of Cyprus.  |