Trying to get kdm to start

I have been trying to get kdm as my default login and i am not having
any luck.

The ways I have tried.

1) I installed kdm into init 5 and nothing started.  All I get in my
start up scripts on tty1:

Not starting K Desktop Manager (kdm): it is not the default display
manager

2) So I then did a grep -nr xdm /etc/* and i found
/etc/X11/defalut-display-manager

i changed /usr/bin/X11/xdm
to /usr/bin/X11/kdm

still nothing.

3) then I did a apt-get install login.app and i got a graphical login
but not kdm

4)  I then whent into inittab and changed the x:5:respawn:....

to x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm

that worked but then i got a new error on tty1

INIT: id "x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

(this is the cruncher.. I have been trying to figure this one out for
hours)

5)  I then did a apt-get remove login.app and that did not help

6)  commented out the /usr/bin/X11/kdm in
/etc/X11/defalut-display-manager file

nothing....

7) every thing gives me

INIT: id "x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

and i  can't seam to shake it.. can any one help me on this.. i am
loosing more hair..lol

thank you..
-adam