Xwindows won't start - addendum

I forgot to provide some of the most important information. I have debian on
a Motorola Starmax 3000/180 with an old (circa 1997) ATI XCLAIM 3D 4 meg
graphics card.

I previously said:

Thanks to someone (I lost their email and I don't remember who) sending me
an applescript that created floppies from the images on the CD, I've
installed debian, but Xwindows says that it needs something in the "Screen"
section of XF86Config. I've opened the config file in emacs (I'd prefer vi),
but it's read only. Not that it matters since I don't know what to put in
it.

All of the configurations I entered during install are their, and none seem
to be commented out.

Bert