Re: TiBook CPU clock?

On  21 Jun, this message from Peter Downs echoed through cyberspace:
>> Yes, and 796 is approx. 800 is 2x400.
>>
>> FYI, my 604e runs at 200 MHz, and I get 398 BogoMIPS.
>
> cpu             : 603ev
> clock           : 180MHz
> revision        : 2.1 (pvr 0007 0201)
> bogomips        : 119.60
>
> I get sucky bogomips, does that have anything to do with it being an old 603ev?

Reformulate: you get _lower_ BogoMIPS. As the previous post explained in
detail, BogoMIPS are _bogus_. They don't say a lot about the performance
of your computer.

The only thing they are good for is for comparing the _same_ processor
type in different computers.

In fact, the BogoMIPS value is calculated by running a specific busy
loop over and over and counting how many loops you get in a specified
amount of time. So you might say BogoMIPS tells you how fast you can do
nothing ;-).

So, to evaluate your BogoMIPS value, compare it with other 603
processors. Within the same processor type/architecture, it should be
proportional to the clock frequency. But only _within_ the same type of
processor. And for BogoMIPS, 603 != 604/G3.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |